SEVISEQ (Equine Health Surveillance Unit) is created due to the need of support for the official institutions and is focused on several aspects: the high presence of equine infectious diseases in Spain, the existence of clinical outbreaks, the lack of awareness regarding the importance of equine infectious diseases by horse owners and professionals of the equine industry, and the importance of a correct application of prevention and control measures in every equine premises.
The work at SEVISEQ is divided into six lines:
- Diagnosis of acute infection.
- Analysis of samples prior to exportation and sales.
- Analysis of samples for the annual health surveillance in breeding stud farms.
- Technical assistance to veterinary surgeons.
- Production of health surveillance reports.
- Research in equine infectious diseases.